The Welsh Language Tribunal (Appointment) Regulations 2013
|Document Number:||2013 No. 3139 (W. 312)|
|Coming into force:||Coming into force on the 07/01/2014|
Welsh Statutory Instruments
Welsh Language, Wales
10 December 2013
Laid before the National Assembly for Wales
12 December 2013
Coming into force
7 January 2014
The Welsh Ministers, in exercise of the powers conferred by section 120(4) of, and paragraph 9 of Schedule 11 to, the Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011(1) , make the following Regulations:
Title and commencement
(1) The title of these Regulations is the Welsh Language Tribunal (Appointment) Regulations 2013.
(2) These Regulations come into force on 7 January 2014.
Merit and good character
(1) The Welsh Ministers must appoint members of the Tribunal(2) based on the merit of those persons to be appointed.
(2) The Welsh Ministers must not appoint a person as a Tribunal member unless they are satisfied that the person to be appointed is of good character.
Principles to be followed
In appointing the members of the Tribunal the Welsh Ministers must have regard to the need to uphold the principles of the—
(a) independence of the Tribunal; and
(b) the rule of law.
Welsh language, knowledge and proficiency
(1) The Welsh Ministers must not appoint a person to be the President of the Tribunal unless they are satisfied that the person has sufficient knowledge of, and sufficient proficiency in, the Welsh language.
(2) When appointing members of the Tribunal, other than the President, the Welsh Ministers must have regard to the knowledge and proficiency in the Welsh language of the Tribunal’s members, when taken together.
(3) This regulation is subject to regulations 2 and 3.
Encouragement of diversity
The Welsh Ministers must have regard to the need to encourage diversity in the range of persons they appoint as members of the Tribunal.
The First Minister of Wales
10 December 2013
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
The Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011 (“the Measure”) establishes a Welsh Language Tribunal (“the Tribunal”). The Tribunal will comprise of a President, legally qualified members and lay members. Section 120 of the Measure provides that the Welsh Ministers appoint the members of the Tribunal.
Paragraph 9(1) of Schedule 11 to the Measure enables the Welsh Ministers to make provision, by way of regulations, about the appointment of members of the Tribunal (referred to in the Measure as “appointment regulations”).
Paragraph 9 of Schedule 11 to the Measure also provides that the appointment regulations may, amongst other...
To continue readingREQUEST YOUR TRIAL