The Further Education Loans and the Education (Student Support) (Amendment) Regulations 2019
|Document Number:||2019 No. 983|
|Coming into force:||Coming into force on the 01/07/2019|
This Statutory Instrument has been printed partially to correct errors inserted into SI 2011/1986 by SI 2019/142 and is being issued free of charge to all known recipients of the former Statutory Instrument.
4 th June 2019
Laid before Parliament
5 th June 2019
Coming into force
1 st July 2019
The Secretary of State makes the following Regulations in exercise of the powers conferred by sections 22(1) and (2) and 42(6) of the Teaching and Higher Education Act 1998(1).
Citation and commencement
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Further Education Loans and the Education (Student Support) (Amendment) Regulations 2019 and come into force on 1 st July 2019.
Amendment of the Further Educations Loans Regulations 2012
2.—(1) The Further Education Loans Regulations 2012(2) are amended as follows.
(2) After regulation 24 (overpayments of fee loan) , insert—
“Cancellation of fee loan
25.—(1) Where this regulation applies the Secretary of State must cancel all or part of a fee loan.
(2) The circumstances mentioned in paragraph (1) are that—
(a) an eligible student has taken out the fee loan in relation to a designated further education course at an institution;
(b) the course to which the fee loan relates is no longer available at the institution;
(c) the student has applied in writing to the Secretary of State for cancellation of all or part of the fee loan; and
(d) the Secretary of State considers it appropriate to do so.
(3) In considering whether it is appropriate to cancel all or part of the fee loan (and where it is considered appropriate to cancel part of the loan what part of the loan should be cancelled) the Secretary of State must have regard to—
(a) the proportion of the course completed;
(b) whether a similar course is available at the institution;
(c) whether the same or a similar course is available at another institution;
(d) in relation to paragraphs (b) or (c) , whether the student has enrolled on the course; and
(e) any other relevant circumstances, including the personal circumstances of the student.”.
Amendment of the Education (Student Support) Regulations 2011
3.—(1) The Education (Student Support) Regulations 2011(3) are amended as follows.
(2) In regulation 47 (calculations)—
(a) in paragraph (1) , after “(1 A) ,”, insert “(1 AA) ,”
(b) in paragraph (1 A) , after “the amount of adult dependants’ grant payable”, insert—
“, where the residual income of any adult dependants and...
To continue readingREQUEST YOUR TRIAL